Jun 19, 2013
Judy Bernas, associate vice president of University Relations for the University of Arizona in Phoenix, has been named the Woman of the Year by the Arizona chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society after outraising a group of nominees.
Bernas was acknowledged Thursday night as the top fund-raiser in the annual campaign in which seven men and four women competed over a 10-week period with charity events and drives to support blood cancer research. She raised $40,070 during the campaign which ended Thursday.
The society holds campaigns in communities across the country as well as a national campaign.
The society supports hundreds of thousands of patients battling blood cancers: leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Funds raised by the campaign are used for:
- Lifesaving blood cancer research
- Financial assistance to cover patient expenses for transportation, medication and testing
- Free educational materials and events for patients and their families
- Local programs such as Family Support Groups and First Connection, a peer-to-peer counseling program
- Comprehensive, personalized assistance through our Information Resource Center
Todd Gatzulis, a vice president of Henkel Consumer Goods, Inc., was named Man of the Year by the society. Both winners will be acknowledged during a two-week period this month with billboards announcing their honors placed around the Phoenix area.